POSITION: Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) ALL SHIFTS AVAILABLE- Per diem, Part-Time, Full-Time
REPORTS TO: Nurse Supervisor/Unit Manager, DNS, ADNS
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the direction of the RN, Nursing Supervisor, Unit Manager, DNS or ADNS, the licensed practical nurse delivers efficient and effective nursing care while achieving positive clinical outcomes and patient family satisfaction. He/she operates within the scope of practice defines by the state nurse practice act. The LPN contributes to nursing assessments and care planning, provides direct patient care, and supervises patient care provided by unlicensed staff.
1. Patient Evaluation
- Collects, reports and documents objective and subjective data
- Observes conditions and reports changes in condition to RN
2. Care Planning
- Contributes to establishing individualized patient goals
- Assists in developing interventions to achieve goals
- Implements the plan of care
- Evaluates effectiveness of interventions to achieve patient goals and minimize re-hospitalization
- Participates in review and revision of plan of care
3. Provision of Direct Patient Care:
- Administers medications and performs treatments per physicians order
- Communicates pertinent data to RN and or physicians
- Documents accurately and thoroughly
- Consults and seeks guidance from the RN as necessary
- At the direction of the RN, participates in utilization management or interdisciplinary care management meeting to facilitate appropriate discharge planning
- Communicates team's recommendations for discharge to attending physician, patient, and family
- Prepares patient/family for discharge- including patient family education
4. Monitors Patient Care Provided by Unlicensed Staff:
- Assigns duties as specified by State Nurse Practice Act, Center's Policy, and staff training
- Communicates patient information with unlicensed staff during between shifts
- Monitors, evaluates and follows up on assigned responsibilities of unlicensed staff
- Ensures that assigned tasks are performed in accordance with policies and procedures
- Performs drug count when beginning and ending shifts and whenever necessary
- Assists physician in rounds and examination of patients as needed.
- Participates in shift to shift communication between incoming and outgoing nursing staff
- Collaborates and coordinates with other departments to provide timely effective care consistent with individuals needs, choices, and preferences
- Contributes to an environment that is respectful, team oriented and responsive to the concerns of staff, patients, and families.
- Enhances nursing practices by attending all mandated in service programs
- Assists with the orientation of newly hired nursing staff
- Promotes culture of safety to ensure a healthy practice and living environment
- Maintains confidentiality and protects sensitive information at all times
- Stays and works beyond scheduled shift if needed to meet state staffing requirements and or needs of patients
- Performs other duties as requested
SPECIFIC EDUCATIONAL/VOCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Graduate of an approved school for practical or vocational nursing is required
- Must be currently licensed by the State Board of Nursing
- Experience is preferred
- This is a position that requires that the employee is able to read, write, speak, and understand the spoken English language to ensure the safety and well-being of our patients and visitors at the worksite when responding to their medical and physical needs.
- Current physical assessment skills and comprehensive knowledge of nursing principles required, including the ability to recognize and identify symptoms and manage emergency situations.
- Knowledge of medications, their proper dosage and expected results
- Ability to coordinate delegate and supervise nursing functions, problem solve and make decisions as necessary
- Ability to create a patient centered environment
- Ability to communicate in English both orally and in writing.
- Basic knowledge of computer use
Health Center 4